Oh, how I hated the way that Dad was always naming everything! Matt reminded me the other day about SMAK Corner, and I had honestly forgot all about it. The memory brought a smile to my face because it annoyed me every time Dad brought it up.
The first time I went to hunting camp was when I returned home from my mission. Matt was in Idaho waiting for me and after we had spent a week in Twin Falls, we went to the hunting camp to see Dad. It was a busy time of year for him with hunts, so he wasn't able to come meet me at the airport. I know he was disappointed. Anyway, when we all got to the camp, Matt and I were engaged...I know it was a short engagement, so keep your comments to yourselves! :) Dad had gone off with hunters riding horses and doing whatever they did up there. Matt and I took a little walk and the next thing you know Dad and the men and horses come around a corner on the trail. He decided to name that corner "SMAK Corner" which stood for "Saw Matt and Alice Kissing." Yeah, lame! I thought so too! But, that was Dad...always naming things so that he would never forget, and likewise...us never forgetting either! :) I am sure that every time he crossed that corner he thought about that and told whomever he was with.
Glad I could bring a smile to your face and a laugh to your belly! :) I am grateful I married Matt because he has a good memory to help me remember these silly stories! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
And just for the record, I was there to witness many times that Dad would share that story with whomever he was with, even it was only me for the tenth time. I imagine he'd tell the mules out loud if he was by himself!! But one thing was for sure remembering that, he always said it with a smile and today as I look back to those times, and yes I started getting annoyed of the story the ninth time I heard it, but as I look back and in my mind's eye hear him and see him telling that story to all who were near, he always had a smile and had a proud father look in his eye. He was proud of his daughter and the man she found and fell in love with. And proud that this man, Matt, was kissing his daughter back and taking her to the temple. There wasn't many times over the past few hard years that Dad wouldn't tell me how much he missed seeing Alice and Matt and their kids. He loved us all.
Haha!! I remember that story! Dad and I were the ones that caught you two! We were going to set bear bates, I believe. I remember he always, as Travis said, had to tell that story over and over and over. There are so many stories and names for things up at the old hunting camp!!
Post a Comment