This morning while I was outside, Miss Lizzy looked at me and wanted to go for a walk on the canal bank. So I told her lets go and of course Durfee and Popeye went to. The sun was out, but there was a crisp wind blowing. The dogs took off and run up and down both sides of the canal making tracks in the snow. Miss Lizzy was slower than normal. She hasn't been feeling very well. The last couple of nights I could tell she was in pain because she was restless. I even heard her moan a couple times. I knew it was time for her to go home. So this afternoon I took her to the vets. I know she is now with Bob and they are playing together.
Miss Lizzy was an "Ericsson's Herd Dog" (if you get a minute look this breed up on the internet). She was a well bread dog and was well trained to herd sheep. She worked hard as a young dog. Miss Lizzy was given to Bob on May 22, 2002 from Wendy Paris. They have a big sheep ranch in Nevada. Wendy wanted Bob to have her because she knew Miss Lizzy would be well taken care of and get to be around a few sheep. It was time for her to retire from the big herd and long hours of work. Miss Lizzy went with Bob and helped with the sheep up in Fairfield. She loved herding sheep and being in the mountains. She was around 14 years old. (What's that about 98 in dog years) She lived a long dog life and worked hard. We love you Miss Lizzy. Now it is time for you to rest in peace and be with Bob.




5 comments:
Oh, that makes me want to cry. I am happy for her to not be suffering anymore and I am sure dad must be thrilled to have her with him. I am glad that she was able to go on one more walk on the canal with her friends.
Memories from Kris Scott
Thanks for the story. What a great dog!! I remember when the horses got out once when Bob was out of town and you and Margie tried your hardest to get them back in the carrel. My job being the horse whisperer I am was to block them from getting back out while you guys went after the other wild horses that had escaped. Man, what a job I had, if it wasn't for Miss Lizzy I would have been trampled. She stood her ground when all I wanted to do was run. I think I even heard her say a couple of times to stop being such a pansy and just stand strong. Hope you have a wonderful time with Papa Bob on those long horse back rides!
Thanks
The last few years Dad would keep saying that Miss Lizzy probably wouldn't make it through the winter and then summer would come and he would say she probably won't make it through the summer. Well she made it through a few more winters and summers than Dad had expected. I will miss Miss Lizzy very much. Since Roxy passed away Miss Lizzy was always at Dad's side. She was a wonderful dog and companion. I love you Miss Lizzy but I know you are running free now with Dad and all our other animals. I know Dad is happy to have her.
Maybe she lived so long to see Dad through some rough times. Maybe she lived to take care of him.
So sad yet so happy to be playing with Dad again. Can't you just see Dad laying in grass with all those dogs licking him like he's 5 again!
That's almost a scary thought...do they have to line up to take turns licking him. We don't even know all the dogs he loved growing up!! That's a long line!
Post a Comment