Memory by Kent Hamilton
One story I have of my brother Bob is when I was in 4-H he was an inspiration to me. He got me started in 4-H in a club out South of town near Rogerson I believe. I bought me a calf a Hereford heifer. She only weighed about 100 pounds. She was so cute! I remember feeding her from the bottle until she was bigger. Bob attended to showing me how to show her, I remember how good he was at fitting and showing! “hold her head high, straighten her feet directly below the hips and shoulders, and STARE at the Judge” he would tell me! He used to play the Judge. Then we would walk around the pasture just talking and walking for hours it seemed, just talking about life! Another story is I remember how Dad, Tom and Bob all were going to the Angus sale in Jerome and they let me go with them, before the sale they had a weight judge contest where they let a steer come in to the sale ring and we got to guess his weight. The one who guessed closest to the actual weight won $50.00. Well I was only about 11 years old and well you guessed it they told me what to write down and Ya Hoo!! I won! Boy was I proud. Nope I didn’t share the money, I know if it happened today I would! Another story is of how Bob had this one particular Angus cow, no matter what she would always charge me!! I told Bob he would say “just ignore her she wont hurt you!” Oh yea right I would say, I tried it but yes she would bump her head on my butt and that was all it took for me!! I was soooo scared of her and I think she knew it! Anyway she was artificially inseminated and while Bob had her and the calf at the fair he came to me and said they were going to have a special show for ABS breeds. He asked me to show the calf. I was so shocked that he would ask me, of course I said yes! Well the calf took first place. I was so proud. I remember sitting in the stall with the trophy, and far away from its mother of course! Smiling at all of the people walking by! Boy was I proud! I still have that trophy by my bed to this day! Dated 1973. Along with its Big Blue Ribbon. Thanks Bob!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
I remember when Dad was teaching me to show horses. I was showing Burp and Dad told me that when the judge came around and talked to me to make sure I backed up the horse. Well I got sidetracked talking to the judge, which Dad told me not to, and forgot to back the horse. Needless to say I didn't place. Oh well. Thanks for the help Dad.
Post a Comment