Memory by G'Lenn
I will never forget the spiritual feeling I felt when our four children and I saw Bob for the 1st time after his passing. It was the 1st time in some time that all 6 of us had been together. We were a family and needed that time alone. It was healing to touch and dress him and feel of his spirt. We cried and laughed as we talked about him. I have been thinking about all the wonderful times we had together as a family. I know we will have many more because we are an eternal family. It is so wonderful to know about God's plan. We are a FOREVER FAMILY. Bob, I miss you and Love you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
What an amazing experience that was. It was a great time to pay respect to dad's physical body, the body that housed his spirit while here on earth. I have felt healing through the experience.
I still wonder what the funeral director must have been thinking by all of our jokes and laughter. What he doesn't know about our family is that we find joy in laughter...dad taught us to laugh in hard situations. We have had many great times laughing and joking as a family. I believe we could all hear dad making jokes and laughing with us.
One joke I remember was when someone said dad was probably saying that his body was getting old and worn out and he was glad to be rid of it for now. I believe his is excited for his perfect, immortal body.
I felt very protective about his body...like it was our responsibility to make sure it was safe and unharmed...I have a great respect for seeing the dead lay to rest. Even to shovel the mound of dirt onto his casket and see him buried. Great healing memories.
Again...what an amazing experience to prepare our father's physical body to be laid to rest...to await the day of resurrection.
What a joyous day that will be!!!
That memory stands bright and strong in my mind as well. Dad told me numerous times before about a blessing he received from his Bishop. The Bishop told the blessing to us as a family if you all remember, that if dad would get his life in order that the day would come where his children, his family would be gathered around him. I felt that as we dressed him. I felt that was literal fulfillment of this blessing in this world. No doubt in my mind. Dad had done it. Dad, with us, experienced that sacred moment. The literal fulfilling of a Priesthood Blessing. I'm grateful for the Priesthood in this life, the power to act in God's name. I've been blessed with some very sacred moments that I'm grateful for and don't take for granted. After Dad's funeral I realized what the most important and sacred things for me, that I've been able to use the Priesthood with and it comes down to two things. First, the first blessing a baby receives in this life, the blessing happens at church, where the baby is named and brought before the world! The second is the last blessing a person receives in mortality, the dedication of the grave where the body will remain until the resurrection. These chances to use the Priesthood and perform these blessings don't come often. I am grateful to have been given this ability and sacredness to dedicate our grandfather's grave and now our father's grave. To me, this has been the most sacred and honored duty I've been able to do in mortality, to dedicate and prepare the physical body for the resurrection and reuniting of the spirit with the body through the atonement of our Lord and Savior. I know He will return, and that this sacred blessing will be honored and fulfilled. To me, this is joy, this is the joy our Father, both our heavenly and earthly father's, want at the highest level of that blessing of real joy. (Travis wrote)
That was a very special and healing time. It was important for me to be together with my family and to all take care of our dad. He always took care of us and even though he wasn't perfect, he did the best he could. I've learned so much through his passing. I've remembered the good times as well as the bad. They all teach us and we can grow from them. I know Dad will always be with us in spirit. None of us know what is to come really, but I trust that I will see Dad again in some form or another. Dad taught me to love everyone unconditionally and that's what I'm taking from him. Every time I see someone do something nice for another person I think of Dad. I am glad I got to dress him and hold his hand. I'm glad we got to place him in his casket. He would have done it for us and I'm sure he was laughing the whole time! I miss you Dad!!!
Thank you for sharing these beautiful family memories. I know they are very sacred and I feel honored to be able to share them with you. I love each of you and we loved your dad, too!
It was a very difficut time for me to see Dad's body laying on the table as we went to dress him. It just didn't seem real since I had just spent the weekend with him. It was a very healing experience that I got to share with my family. I will never forget the feelings of peace and comfort that I felt as I held onto his hand. It almost felt like he was holding mine also. I always loved holding Dad's hand when I was growing up. I think it was because he made me feel so safe. I will never forget that. It was good to be able to joke and laugh and share the good times as we dressed him in his final clothes before laying him to rest. I remember the smirk Dad had on his face that made me think he was going to start laughing with us. I know he is in a better place and he is truly happy. I am so happy for all the wonderful thinks Dad taught me growing up. I am glad we had the opportunity to physically move him and put him in his casket. It was one of the hardest things I have had to do but it was so wonderful to be able to do that for him. I know he is very proud of all of us. I miss and love you Dad! :)
Post a Comment