Tuesday, December 9, 2008

No Fear


I think of all the men I have known in my life, dad is the one person that never showed fear. Even though he might have been afraid, he faced his fears and dealt with them. On one particular occasion, we were up at hunting camp and it was the end of bear season. Dad was required to retrieve all of the bear bait barrels as part of his obligation to the Forest Service/Game and Fish, as well as to avoid hefty fines. He asked me if I would like to go with him and round them up. So, he and I left with a couple of pack mules and went on our way. We were successful getting all of the barrels accept the very last one. When we got to the location the barrel was supposed to be at, it was gone. This barrel was located at the top of a hill, and it appeared that a bear had ripped the barrel, that was wired to the tree, off the tree and drug it down a hillside covered with ferns reaching about 3-4 feet in hieght. He and I started down the hill when dad turned around to me and said, with a look in his eye I had yet to see before, "go get the brush gun." I didn't realize the danger involved until he requested that particular gun. I walked back up to the horse to get the gun while dad continued down the hill. I was really nervous and scared at any moment a bear would stand up from underneath the ferns and give us a welcome greeting. Well, I got to the bottom of the hill where dad was standing in amazement at the stolen barrel. The top of the barrel was opened up as if someone had used a can opener to retrieve the contents inside. I couldn't believe that a bear actually had that much strength to rip open a thick steal drum. I was even more amazed that dad didn't wait for me to get the gun and went alone down the hill. Fortunately, we weren't introduced to the bear that stole the barrel. We made it back to the horses and back to camp.

4 comments:

Alice said...

I have never really thought about it, but you're right...dad never did show fear. I always knew we were safe when he was around. I am thankful for his amazing strength and courage in very dangerous situations...he never led on to us how dangerous things were. Thanks for your protection dad.

King J, Queen M, Princess E and Princess M said...

I just watched a show on the discovery channel about bear attacks. It was pretty scary! It is pretty cool that your dad knew what to do.

Anonymous said...

I'm scared to go camping today or even hiking too far from civilization without Dad there. I always felt completely safe with him. I don't know how he did what he did by going all those mountain places alone. I'm scared to sleep alone in my own apartment! ha ha ha

Margie said...

Dad was a very strong person and he never did show his fear. There was even a time when he got attacked by a bear. I don't know how he ever lived to tell some of his stories. Thanks for being a great example too all of us Dad.