I recall an experience I had with Dad while riding horses (mules) up north. He and I drove up early to secure the cabins and wait for Alice, G'Lenn and Margie to arrive. Well, Dad and I got there early and decided to go for a ride. We saddled up and headed out for a short excursion. I remember him riding TuJack and I was riding Wyatt. We rode in some beautiful terrain. Places as high up that we were riding on sheer drop-offs and then back down in the gorge and beautiful green meadows. The realization came to me again that I was meant to be in the grandure (sp?) of the earth's beauty and the Lord's creations. As we rode we came upon a swift moving river. I was nervous to cross the river and hoped that he would just turn around and find an alternate route. I had never rode a horse across a river, let alone a swift moving one that was too deep to see the bottom. As we approached the shoreline, Dad stopped and turned around to give me some instruction on how to cross. I remember him telling me to give the horse his head and the horse will know what to do. I had to have complete trust in the horse to get me safely across to the other side. As we started into the water, I could feel the power within the horse pushing forward. A few times he lost his footing due to the wavering rocks below. As we approached the middle, our legs were now submerged in the water. I thought, how much deeper were we going to go? Fortunately, that was about the deepest we went. Not once did I have to redirect the horse to keep pushing forward. We finally made it to the other side. The only casualty was Dad's hat that blew off his head when a gust of wind came through the gorge...somewhere that hat found a new home. I reflect upon that experience and contemplate the application and merit it has in each of our lives. Many times we face swift waters. Some of which we can't see the bottom and are skeptical of the unknown future. However, if we keep pushing forward...never losing sight of our destination, we may trip up a few and maybe many times, but if we just stay on our course we will make it to the other side. Dad told me to trust in the horse, he will know what to do. I witnessed the reality of that statement and felt the power in the horse's body do just that. Sometimes we have to trust in others or even unseen powers to carry us through difficult times in order to reach our destination. It was a great opportunity and experience that I learned that day and can apply to my life in any adverse situation. Remember, some times you just have to let go of the reins.
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Crossing Swift Waters
Memory by Matt
I recall an experience I had with Dad while riding horses (mules) up north. He and I drove up early to secure the cabins and wait for Alice, G'Lenn and Margie to arrive. Well, Dad and I got there early and decided to go for a ride. We saddled up and headed out for a short excursion. I remember him riding TuJack and I was riding Wyatt. We rode in some beautiful terrain. Places as high up that we were riding on sheer drop-offs and then back down in the gorge and beautiful green meadows. The realization came to me again that I was meant to be in the grandure (sp?) of the earth's beauty and the Lord's creations. As we rode we came upon a swift moving river. I was nervous to cross the river and hoped that he would just turn around and find an alternate route. I had never rode a horse across a river, let alone a swift moving one that was too deep to see the bottom. As we approached the shoreline, Dad stopped and turned around to give me some instruction on how to cross. I remember him telling me to give the horse his head and the horse will know what to do. I had to have complete trust in the horse to get me safely across to the other side. As we started into the water, I could feel the power within the horse pushing forward. A few times he lost his footing due to the wavering rocks below. As we approached the middle, our legs were now submerged in the water. I thought, how much deeper were we going to go? Fortunately, that was about the deepest we went. Not once did I have to redirect the horse to keep pushing forward. We finally made it to the other side. The only casualty was Dad's hat that blew off his head when a gust of wind came through the gorge...somewhere that hat found a new home. I reflect upon that experience and contemplate the application and merit it has in each of our lives. Many times we face swift waters. Some of which we can't see the bottom and are skeptical of the unknown future. However, if we keep pushing forward...never losing sight of our destination, we may trip up a few and maybe many times, but if we just stay on our course we will make it to the other side. Dad told me to trust in the horse, he will know what to do. I witnessed the reality of that statement and felt the power in the horse's body do just that. Sometimes we have to trust in others or even unseen powers to carry us through difficult times in order to reach our destination. It was a great opportunity and experience that I learned that day and can apply to my life in any adverse situation. Remember, some times you just have to let go of the reins.
I recall an experience I had with Dad while riding horses (mules) up north. He and I drove up early to secure the cabins and wait for Alice, G'Lenn and Margie to arrive. Well, Dad and I got there early and decided to go for a ride. We saddled up and headed out for a short excursion. I remember him riding TuJack and I was riding Wyatt. We rode in some beautiful terrain. Places as high up that we were riding on sheer drop-offs and then back down in the gorge and beautiful green meadows. The realization came to me again that I was meant to be in the grandure (sp?) of the earth's beauty and the Lord's creations. As we rode we came upon a swift moving river. I was nervous to cross the river and hoped that he would just turn around and find an alternate route. I had never rode a horse across a river, let alone a swift moving one that was too deep to see the bottom. As we approached the shoreline, Dad stopped and turned around to give me some instruction on how to cross. I remember him telling me to give the horse his head and the horse will know what to do. I had to have complete trust in the horse to get me safely across to the other side. As we started into the water, I could feel the power within the horse pushing forward. A few times he lost his footing due to the wavering rocks below. As we approached the middle, our legs were now submerged in the water. I thought, how much deeper were we going to go? Fortunately, that was about the deepest we went. Not once did I have to redirect the horse to keep pushing forward. We finally made it to the other side. The only casualty was Dad's hat that blew off his head when a gust of wind came through the gorge...somewhere that hat found a new home. I reflect upon that experience and contemplate the application and merit it has in each of our lives. Many times we face swift waters. Some of which we can't see the bottom and are skeptical of the unknown future. However, if we keep pushing forward...never losing sight of our destination, we may trip up a few and maybe many times, but if we just stay on our course we will make it to the other side. Dad told me to trust in the horse, he will know what to do. I witnessed the reality of that statement and felt the power in the horse's body do just that. Sometimes we have to trust in others or even unseen powers to carry us through difficult times in order to reach our destination. It was a great opportunity and experience that I learned that day and can apply to my life in any adverse situation. Remember, some times you just have to let go of the reins.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
Great memory and good learning experience. It is good to remember that sometimes in life we just have to let go of the reins and trust our instincts.
Post a Comment