Memory by Travis
Back in May of 2008, when the senior class couldn't find anyone else to speak at their graduation, I was able to go back home for a couple days, all expenses paid! Anyway, I flew in the afternoon the day before graduation. Dad and I, and I think Kris and Margie and gang, went with us to a chinese food place or gerties maybe, did the normal eat thing. The next day dad and I just had time to kill. Him and I went on a horse ride (me on a horse, him on a mule of course) out along the canal and back pasture area. We were in no hurries, just out for a ride with no cares or pressures. (I had to give a talk to a couple 400 hundred graduating seniors later that day, but I wasn't worried, they still couldn't find anybody else! And I heard they were still looking!) After the ride, we played catch for a while. I threw a couple over his head, and the normal into the ground near his feet. We laughed. We talked about things, nothing in particular really, nothing that I can remember. We sat on the lawn and just chatted about things. Dad talked about the play house. He was getting closer to finishing it. Then time came to go to the graduation and tell a few jokes and make up some lies. Dad was there in the audience with Margie and Kris and one of his friends. Then I flew home the next morning. He followed later that day and helped us move up to Flagstaff. When we were in Mesa, he didn't do much work, which I was surprised. He just seemed kind of lazy or maybe tired is the better word. But he was able to see our new little rental. Spent some time with our kids. Got a couple pictures. And that was that.Little did I know that would be my last ride and catch with my dad, my father, my friend and hero in this life. The closing of a book that had been in my blood and a part of my life as long as I could remember. I guess we never know what may happen tomorrow. Don't put off things that you can do today with your family. Do it. You never know. No regrets. No regrets. I will throw that same ball to my kids. I only hope I can remember how to saddle a horse for them when we have the opportunity. Deep down I know I'll remember, things like that always come back. Especially when you've got Papa Bob on your side! We'll remember.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
Great memory! I am trying to think of the last time I rode horses with dad and played catch. Wow, I really miss those days of playing catch out on the grass in the back yard and overthrowing the ball to him...or underthrowing it. :) Where in the heck did we get such wild arms? The good ol summer days out in the country!
Post a Comment