Friday, November 7, 2008

The First Time We Met

Memory by G'Lenn

I remember the 1st time I saw Bob, was at the Twin Falls High School. I was a sophomore and school had just started. I saw this good looking guy with a big scab on the side of his face walk by me in the hall. Wow!! I guess he had noticed me also. We had a mutual friend "Tom Turner" and he said Bob would like to meet me at my locker after school. (So we met) Bob loved to come over to my place and help my Dad work. He even worked for my Dad the next few summers and learned all about farm life. Dad taught him how to irrigate the crops. (Glenn was the "best" Bob would say) But Bob learned to irrigate very well himself. Dad helped Bob start selling alfalfa seed to the farmers. Which he did very well....
The scab on the side of Bob's face was from falling off the back of a truck loaded with hay. He was riding on the back of the truck when some of the hay fell off, with Bob, and landed on the road. They were taking the hay to the fair for their stock. That same time I had won grand champion with my 4-H pig "Pearl" and the picture of me selling Pearl in the paper showed Bob setting in the back watching me. (Bob said that was a sign that we should be together) The next year I helped Bob wash his FFA steers & cows at the Twin Falls County Fair. We were up late trying to clean those very dirty cattle of his. They had manure hard balls stuck in their fur. What a job that was to get off. It was cold and wet but I loved helping him. The next morning the cows were all shiny & black, all ready to show. He did a great job showing his cattle.
We both showed our horses in 4-H that year. I won grand champion in Fitting and Showing and Bob placed way in the back. (I believe this was one our 1st disagreements) He was quite upset that he hadn't done so well. All he could say was "Lets see how your horse does in a trail class". Well my horse couldn't begin to do what his horse could in a trail class because that was what Bob was great at. He was always good at picking out good trail and mountain horses and mules. I know he will always be there to help us........

No comments: