Sunday, November 2, 2008

Roll on 18 Wheeler

Memory by Travis

We seemed to have spent a lot of time riding horses and trucks with dad. This was one of those songs that I could sing with him now and again, at least when no friends were around and I was locked in the truck with him! My son's Spencer and Drew sing this song out loud with me now, in memory of Papa Bob. They were even able to sing it with him a few months back. It's their favorite song!! (uh-oh) Thanks dad. Anyway? This song was my dad. He spent a lot of time delivering seed and had the popeye forearms to prove it! He always bragged about his arm fighting (or I guess he called it arm wrestling!) times at the sugar factory, looking back I'm not sure if he even got to do any work there with all the arm wrestling stories he'd tell us... Anyway, he was never beat, at least that we knew of, until the day his son in law Matt gained his respect and whipped the old man!! In front of his kids! Can you believe that! A young buck embarrassing the old guy in front of his posterity! (But I still would have to say that given my dad a few of his earlier years back, even Strong man Matt would be paying!) He had those solid muscled, hard work earned arms, that don't come from sitting in an office, even to the day he died. Even dead, his forearms were still hard as a rock and thrice as big as mine!! I can still feel my dad's influence when there's hard work to be done. He'd find a way to do it, to get it done. He could move mountains if he had to and probably would do it one shovel at a time too! I'm grateful for that gift of hard work that he wore into us. Roll on dad!!

No comments: