Sunday, November 2, 2008

I Hope You Dance

Memory by Travis

Over the past few years we've all had issues to deal with while living this experience we call life. Some of those experiences have been grand, some have been great, some good, some not so good, and some just plain sad and bad. Thankfully through the sacred healing process of time and life, we've been blessed to keep the June roses watered and are letting the weeds wither away and be disposed of by the Gardener. The time I was able to spend with dad has become a sacred and cherished memory. Never seemed like enough. Never seemed like my memories with him would run out in this life. But they have and here's one that I won't let die. Never! Whenever I was with dad and this song would come on, one of his favorites of course, (he had the cd too, so sometimes it was often) he would tell me that this song always made him think of Kipp. This was his song for Kipp. This song would always bring back the pride and joy and most importantly the love he found in watching his son perform on stage in various dance and musical performances. This was dad's heart, in verse, to a son he missed very much over the past few years. This is your song Kipp straight from him. Dad loves you. He'd tell me that everytime I'd talk to him. Never would one phone call end without him saying that about you and all us kids. I love this song for that. I love the truths of this song. I love the lines that are dad. I love the lines that dad wants us to remember him by, that he wants us to live by, that he loved, that he lived. Never fear the mountains, the ocean... Never settle for the path of least resistance, never. I know he's dancing now. I know he's watching us when we do and will be whenever we choose to.

1 comment:

Alice said...

Reading this post makes me want to dance! I remember when I danced at Ricks College...really danced with my whole soul...there was nothing I can compare that feeling to, until we all sang at dad's funeral. I felt my soul rejoicing and I could not sing loud enough. There was power surging through my whole soul. I believe this song has more meaning than just physically dancing. I believe it is living life to the fullest and taking opportunities to find joy in the journey. Dad definately taught us how to laugh along the way! Now we can dance with dad!